Monday, May 14, 2012

Plastic Toy Jackpot

 

I've been crazy busy the past month.  In addition to wrapping up my classes this semester, I've been preparing for my move and helping my dad finish up things at the house he shared with my mom.  I was surprised by the amount of toys still in the house.  My mom had kept toys at her house for my daughter, and some of my own toys somehow managed to survive various purges and intermingle with them to be joined over the years with new toys for my nephews.  I went through several boxes of toys before my dad donated them, and I am now an advocate of going through boxes of old toys, no matter how big of a pain it is to do so if you ever use miniatures in your tabletop gaming.  I found many little plastic goodies that I might use as miniatures, as you can see in the picture above.  (And, if you know what you're looking at, some of you will see some real gems and know where they came from.)

The cream of the collection is the pictured below.

That's right!  Of the many rust monsters and bulettes/landsharks that I had acquired as a little kid before I had ever heard the name "Gygax," one of the bulettes survived.  I had hoped to find more, but even one is a minor miracle.  The original inspiration for the umber hulk also somehow made it. 


So, I hope everyone had a great Mother's day.  Me, I have lots of great memories and a rich inheritance.  Not in money, mind you, but it just so happened to include some little plastic gems that will enrich future games for me and my players.  Thanks for everything, Mom!