Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Drinking in Waterdeep

It might not be obvious how this belongs in Tomeful Tuesday, but I'm actually asking for help I'm not finding in the books I have -- or online, for that matter.

I had a one player game Saturday night due to some unfortunate circumstances with the other player, so there was lots of time for him to get to know Waterdeep.  (I'm having fun bringing my own versions of local NPCs to life.)  It's a dance of making stuff up and reinterpreting to suit myself and the game, but also wanting to have a sense for myself and the players of what the shared experience of Waterdeep is for gamers and readers.

Zzar is the margarita of Waterdeep, culturally speaking, says this Texan.  There's an accepted description of how it tastes: a dry white sparkling wine fortified with almond liqueur.  So I was surprised to not be able to find a description of how elverquisst -- the almost totemic elven wine in the Realms -- tastes.  How is that not in Volo's?  Or E.G. Presents the F.R.?  Or in the F.R. Wiki?  Are things elvish so ineffable?

Any setting sommeliers out there who can help a brother out?