Monday, March 11, 2013

City-State of the Invincible Overlord Acquired

Gary made me do it.

Okay, not really.  I'd also heard some good press on the the 1987 Mayfair boxed set recently, (Save or Die!?  THACO's Hammer?)  although, with the annoying implication that Ed Greenwood ripped off CS for Waterdeep.  Perhaps the original JG products influenced later city products.  Waterdeep & the North came out the same year as this boxed set, and City System is only a year later and much more ambitious.  Oh well, it was probably just DM Glen mouthing off.  So: today at Ye Olde Halfe Price Bookes on 40% coupon day, I came across a box in good shape, $12-13 seemed like a good risk, and everything was indeed inside it.  I also thought this deal was much more realistic than to think I would ever stumble over the JG pieces at anything resembling a non-crazy collectible price.  The box is in much better shape than the box sets I usually find, and I was intrigued by the four added races.  I'd have to modify centaurs to be like the early Greek originals, however, as the four-legged variety seem just too much for a PC race.  In response, what words of inspiration or experience do my fair ramblers have for me on City-State?